Morten Sohlberg, Smörgas Chef, New York City - December 24th, 2013
Throughout the month of December, Smörgas Chef is celebrating their anniversary by offering a complimentary mug of their classic Glögg, the Scandinavian winter warmer comprised of dry red wine spiked with citrus and spices, as a gift to all diners at their West Village, Stone Street, and Park Avenue locations.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brandy or spiced rum
- peel from 1 large orange, cut into large strips
- 2 Tbsps. whole cloves
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 10 cardamom pods
- 1/2" piece fresh ginger, peeled and crushed slightly with the back of a spoon
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 1 750ml bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup vodka
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- sliced blanched almonds, raisins and orange slices, for garnish
Bring the water, brandy, and spices to a boil; reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes; add wine, vodka, and sugar; simmer 1 minute; strain out cloves and orange peel; decant Glögg, leaving other spices behind; add raisins, almonds, and orange slices to each glass upon serving.