Red Cabbage Gazpacho
Heston Blumenthal, Heston Blumenthal at Home - December 2011
Adapted from Heston Blumenthal at Home by Heston Bluementhal.
For 4 servings
Mustard ice cream:
- 3 1/2 cups (840 g) heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups (360 g) whole milk
- 3/4 cup (140 g) unrefined superfine granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsps. (35 g) semi-skimmed milk powder
- 1/2 cup (120 g) whole grain mustard
- 2 tsps. (10 g) English mustard
Heat cream, milk, sugar, and milk powder in a saucepan set over medium heat, whisking constantly, until milk powder has dissolved completely; remove from heat; pour into a bowl; place bowl in ice water bath; cool.
Whisk in mustards; pour into the bowl of ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer's directions, mixing until paddle can no longer turn; place in airtight container; blend with immersion blender 10 seconds; place in bowl of ice cream maker; process 10 minutes; return to airtight container; cover; freeze at least 2 hours.
Red wine mayonnaise:
- 1 lg. egg yolk
- 2 tsps. (10 g) Dijon mustard
- 6 Tbsps. plus 1 tsp. (90 g) peanut or grapeseed oil
- 1 Tbsp. (15 g) red wine
- 2 tsps. (10 g) red wine vinegar
- Whisk egg yolk and mustard in small bowl; gradually add oil, whisking constantly, until emulsion is stiff; stir in wine and vinegar; cover with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
- 1 red cabbage, quartered and white core removed
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed
- 2 Tbsps. (30 g) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and finely diced
Juice 3 cabbage quarters; place 1 cup juice in airtight container; add bread; cover; refrigerate 2 hours.
Strain through fine chinois lined with muslin, pressing out as much juice as possible from bread; discard bread.
To serve, juice remaining quarter cabbage; strain through fine chinois lined with muslin into bowl with chilled juice; add 1 1/2 Tbsps. red wine mayonnaise; blend with immersion blender; stir in vinegar; season; mound some cucumber in bottom of each serving bowl; top with small quenelle of mustard ice cream; pour gazpacho around ice cream tableside.