Pasta with Fresh Fava Beans & Pancetta
Gail Monaghan / January 2011
For 16 servings
• 1 lb. smoked pancetta, cut into small pieces
• 3 lg. onions, cut into small dice
• 4 lg. cloves garlic, smashed
• 4 lbs. fresh fava beans, shelled and peeled
• 2 Tbsps. grappa
• black pepper, freshly ground
• 2 lbs. fresh or dried spaghetti or linguine
• extra-virgin olive oil (for serving)
• Parmesan, freshly grated (for serving)
Place pancetta, onions, and garlic in large skillet set over medium heat; cook until pancetta crisps and onions caramelize; add beans and grappa; cook until tender (about 5 minutes); season; remove from heat; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add pasta; cook until al dente; drain in a colander; add pasta to bean mixture; toss to combine; drizzle with oil; season; divide among serving dishes; sprinkle with cheese.
What to drink: Bombino Bianco from Puglia