Pigeon with Roasted Pumpkin, Granny Smith Applesauce & Juniper Game Sauce
John Campbell, John Campbell at Coworth Park / January 2011
For 4 servings
• 1 3/4 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
• 4 tsps. granulated sugar
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into very sm. dice
- Place all ingredients except diced apples in vacuum-sealable plastic food bag; vacuum seal; place in a steamer; steam 45 minutes; remove from steamer; place in ice water bath; cool completely; remove from water; remove ingredients from bag (mash more completely if needed); top with diced apples; reserve.
• 1 1/3 cups game bones, chopped
• 7 Tbsps. salted butter
• 3 1/2 Tbsps. mirepoix, cut into small dice
• 7 Tbsps. pancetta trim
• 1 1/3 cups red wine vinegar
• 6 1/3 cups lamb jus
• 2 tsps. fresh thyme
• 8 to 10 juniper berries
Heat a pot set over medium-high heat; add bones; cook, stirring occasionally, until brown all over; add butter; cook until brown but not burned; strain through fine chinois into a bowl; reserve bones; reserve butter separately.
Add mirepoix to same pan; cook until softened; add pancetta; cook 1 minute; deglaze with vinegar; add bones back to pan; add jus; bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; simmer 30 minutes; strain through fine chinois into clean pan; discard solids; reduce strained liquid to sauce consistency; remove from heat; add thyme and juniper berries; let stand 10 to 15 minutes; strain through fine chinois into clean saucepan; discard solids; whisk in reserved butter; reserve sauce (keep warm).
• 4 Tbsps. pumpkin oil
• 4 1" thick slices sm. pumpkin, centers removed with apple corer
- Place oil and pumpkin in resealable plastic bag; season; vacuum seal; place in a steamer; steam 3 to 6 minutes; remove from steamer; place in ice water bath; cool; remove from water; reserve in refrigerator.
Purple sprouting broccoli:
• 2 cups beurre monté
• 1 head purple sprouting broccoli, cut into florets and stems peeled and cut into sm. pieces
- Bring beurre monté to a simmer in small saucepan; add broccoli; cook until softened; drain in a colander; place broccoli in a bowl; reserve (keep warm).
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 4 baby red onions
• 1/4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
• 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- Heat oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat; add onions; cook 10 minutes; add vinegar; deglaze pan; add butter; cook 10 minutes; remove from heat; season; reserve (keep warm).
• 4 skin-on pigeon breasts
• 4 lg. blackberries, halved
• tart red apple blossom bud sprigs, long stalks removed and kept moist in refrigerator (for serving)
Place pigeon breasts in vacuum-sealable plastic food bag; vacuum seal; refrigerate 1 hour; cook sous-vide, maintaining water temperature at 147°F, 40 minutes; remove from water bath; reserve.
To serve, place 1 Tbsp. apple puree on serving plate at 3 o'clock; place pumpkin at 6 o'clock; place broccoli next to pumpkin; place onion half and blackberry half at 9 o'clock; place additional onion half and blackberry half at 5 o'clock; halve each pigeon on an angle; season; place on top of broccoli; drizzle sauce over and around pigeon; place apple blossom buds on top.
What to drink: Domaine Xavier Monnot Maranges 1er Cru Clos de la Fussière 2005