Malloreddus with Dungeness Crab, Speck & Bottarga di Muggine
Shea Gallante, Ciano / March 2011
For 4 to 6 servings
• 2/3 cup 00 flour
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 Tbsps. salt
• 1 tsp. dry white wine
Mix flours and salt in a bowl; make a well in the center; add 1/4 cup water and wine; gradually mix into flour to make a dough; cover with plastic wrap; let stand 30 minutes.
Roll dough in batches through pasta maker, reducing setting with each turn until 1/4" thick; cut sheets into 1" strips; cut strips into 1" squares; roll, using gnocchi board; reserve.
• 3 Tbsps. olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup vegetable stock
• 4 Tbsps. unsalted butter
• 4 Tbsps. Dungeness crabmeat, picked over for bones and cartilage
• 2 Tbsps. heavy cream
• 1/8 tsp. ground fennel seeds
• 1/4 cup arugula, julienned
• 2 marinated Calabria chiles, finely chopped
• 1 Tbsp. speck, cut into sm. dice
• black pepper, freshly ground
• 4 Tbsps. Parmesan, freshly grated
• bottarga di muggine, thinly shaved
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil; add pasta; cook until al dente; strain through a colander; reserve.
Heat oil in large sauté pan set over medium-low heat; add onion and garlic; cook until translucent; add stock, butter, crabmeat, cream, and fennel seeds; cook until liquid is reduced by half; add pasta; stir to coat; stir in arugula, chiles, and speck; season; stir well; reduce heat to low; stir in Parmesan; cook, stirring, until cheese has melted into sauce; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, divide pasta among serving bowls; garnish with bottarga.
What to drink: Caruso e minini "Sacchia" 2007 Sicily; Lambruschi Vermentino "Sarticola" 2009 Liguria