Garden Gazpacho with King Crab, Grapes, Yogurt & Toasted Almonds
Justin Bogle, Gilt, New York City / April 2011
For 4 servings
Verjus liquid gel:
- 2/3 cup red verjus
- 2/3 tsp. agar-agar
Bring verjus, 1/4 cup water, and agar-agar to a boil in a saucepan; season; strain through fine chinois into hotel pan; refrigerate until set.
Remove gel from refrigerator; place in a blender; blend until smooth; strain through fine chinois into squeeze bottle; reserve.
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt
- 5 Tbsps. whole milk
Place all ingredients in a bowl; mix with hand blender; place in the canister of a whipper; charge with 2 NO2 cartridges; reserve.
Toasted almond powder:
- 1 cup marcona almonds, toasted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsps. tapioca maltodextrin (see note below)
Place almonds and salt in the bowl of a processor; process to fine paste; add maltodextrin; process until light powder has formed; press through a tamis into airtight container; cover; reserve.
- 2 cups English peas, blanched
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and flesh removed from skin
- 1 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise, seeds removed, and blanched
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed
- 1 bunch parsley leaves, blanched
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, blanched
- 1 bunch chives, blanched
- 1/2 bunch dill, blanched
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves, blanched
- 1/4 jalapeño, seeded
- 2/5 tsp. xanthan gum
Place all ingredients except salt in a blender; blend until smooth; season; strain through fine chinois into a bowl; cover with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
- 2 Tbsps. glucose
- 4 med. squash blossoms, stems removed and blossoms split down middle to open
- 1 lg. king crab leg, shell removed with kitchen shears and meat cut into 12 slices
- Maldon sea salt
- 12 slices green grapes
- 12 citrus coriander flowers
Heat oven to 180°F.
Bring 1/3 cup water and glucose to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat; cool; place in airtight container; cover; reserve in refrigerator until cold.
Place blossoms and glucose mixture into vacuum-sealable plastic food bag; vacuum seal on high; remove blossoms from bag; spread out evenly on baking sheet lined with Silpat baking mat; bake until crisp (about 45 minutes); remove from oven; place in airtight container; cover; reserve.
To serve, place 3 slices crab in each chilled serving bowl; sprinkle with Maldon salt; top each slice with a grape slice, a coriander flower, and a drop of verjus liquid gel; place small mound of almond powder on one side of each bowl; dispense dollop of yogurt foam on opposite side of bowl; place a squash blossom chip in the foam; pour gazpacho tableside.
What to drink: Bodega del Abad Godello Bierto Abad Dom Bueno 2009