Hokkaido Scallops Cured with Lime Sugar, with Green Strawberries, Coriander & Wood Sorrel
Jordan Kahn, Red Medicine, Los Angeles - May 2011
For 4 servings (requires advance preparation)
Pickled green strawberries:
- 1 cup palm vinegar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tsps. rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsps. plus 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 4 tsps. lime juice
- 10 sm. green strawberries
Mix all ingredients except berries in a bowl until sugar has dissolved; place in vacuum-sealable plastic food bag; add berries; vacuum seal on highest setting; refrigerate 1 week.
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsps. spring water
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup wood sorrel flower stems, juiced
- 5 tsps. white soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps. palm vinegar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed in mortar with pestle
- 1 kaffir lime, juiced
Mix ingredients in glass container; cover; refrigerate 2 days.
Remove from refrigerator; pass through fine strainer into clean bowl; strain through coffee filter into clean airtight container; cover; reserve in refrigerator.
Cured Hokkaido scallops:
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsps. spring water
- 2/3 cup (5 1/4 oz.) palm sugar, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsps. plus 2/3 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 kaffir lime, zested and juiced
- 2 lg. Hokkaido scallops
Mix water, sugar, and salt in bowl until dissolved; add zest and 4 tsps. juice; place in vacuum-sealable bag; add scallops; vacuum seal on highest setting; let stand 15 minutes; remove scallops from bag; discard brine; wrap scallops in fish paper; reserve in refrigerator.
- 2 bunches cilantro, blanched
- 1 bunch rau ram (Vietnamese coriander), blanched
- 1 bunch sawtooth herb, blanched
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds from flowering cilantro, blanched
- 1 cup virgin peanut oil
- baby icicle radishes
- wood sorrel flower stems, minced
- baby spring onion, fried until crisp
- coriander flowers
- daikon flowers
- coriander fronds
- wood sorrel leaves
Wrap cilantro, rau ram, and sawtooth in cheesecloth; squeeze out as much liquid as possible; place in a blender; add seeds and oil; blend until mixture heats to 150°F; place in bowl set in ice water bath; cool, stirring constantly; strain through coffee filter into squeeze bottle; reserve in refrigerator.
To serve, stand some radishes stem side down in the middle of flat-bottomed serving bowl; slice scallops as thinly as possible; roll into small pieces; place around radishes; thinly slice strawberries; place one on top of each scallop roll; top with small amount of sorrel stems; arrange onions, flowers, fronds, and leaves over dish; carefully pour in coriander water; drizzle a few dots of coriander oil around the water.
What to drink: Salomon Undhof Riesling Kremstal Pfaffenberg