Lamb en Brochette
Greg Atkinson, Restaurant Marché, Bainbridge Island, Washington / June 2012
For 8 servings
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup red vermouth
• 2 Tbsps. Worcestershire sauce
• 2 cloves purple garlic, grated on Microplane
• 3 sprigs oregano, leaves removed from stems
• 1 tsp. sea salt
• 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly crushed
• 1 4-lb. boned leg of lamb, cut into individual muscles, silver skin and cartilage trimmed, then cut into 32 pieces
• 1 onion, cut into 16 wedges, keeping root ends intact
• 16 mushrooms, trimmed
• herbed emmer farro (for serving)
Soak 8 10” bamboo skewers in cold water 1 hour; reserve.
Mix oil, vermouth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper; add lamb, onion, and mushrooms to marinade; vacuum-seal; toss to coat meat and vegetables; refrigerate 1 hour.
Heat a grill to high.
To serve, skewer marinated lamb chunks, dividing equally; grill brochettes, turning frequently, until cooked to desired doneness (about 3 minutes for medium-rare); divide emmer farro among serving plates; place brochettes on top, dividing equally.
What to drink: Reininger Cima Walla Walla Valley 2005