Moroccan Vegetable Tagine
Nopa, San Francisco, Laurence Jossel / September 2012
For 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. coriander
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Place all ingredients in a skillet set over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted and fragrant; remove from heat; cool.
Place in spice grinder; grind to a powder; place in airtight container; reserve.
- 1 cup chili paste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. pimentón picante (hot Spanish paprika)
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red chile peppers
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground coriander
Place all ingredients in a processor; process until smooth; place in airtight container; reserve.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, cooked, and 4 cups cooking liquid reserved
- 1 8-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 orange, zest removed in wide strips
- 1 lemon, zest removed in wide strips
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lg. red onion, thickly sliced
- 10 Tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 bulbs fennel, thickly sliced
- 1/8 tsp. saffron
- 4 lg. carrots, cut into oblique shapes
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 cups sm. Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp. thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 sm. head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets and blanched
- 2 summer squash, cut into rounds and roasted
- 1 ear corn, kernels cut from cob
- 1 cup Romano beans, blanched
- 2 cups green olives (for serving)
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt, thinned with lemon juice (for serving)
- 1 cup almonds, toasted and cracked (for serving)
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped (for serving)
- 1 bunch mint, coarsely chopped (for serving)
Heat oven to 550°F.
Mix cooking liquid from garbanzo beans, tomatoes, zests, and bay leaf in large stockpot; reserve.
Place onion, 2 Tbsps. oil, 1 Tbsp. spice mixture, and red pepper flakes in a bowl; toss to coat; heat ovenproof sauté pan over high heat; cook onion, tossing, until blistered; place pan in oven; roast onion until almost caramelized (6 to 8 minutes); remove from oven; add to the stockpot with tomatoes.
Place fennel, 2 Tbsps. oil, 1 Tbsp. spice mixture, and saffron in clean bowl; season; toss to coat; place fennel in same sauté pan; cook, tossing, until blistered; place in oven; roast until almost caramelized; remove from oven; place in the stockpot.
Place carrots, garlic, 2 Tbsps. oil, and 1 Tbsp. spice mixture in clean bowl; season; toss to coat; cook in same saucepan, tossing, until blistered; place in oven; roast 12 minutes; remove from oven; add to the stockpot.
Place potatoes, 2 Tbsps. oil, thyme, and 1 Tbsp. spice mixture in clean bowl; season; toss to coat; cook in same saucepan, tossing, until blistered; place in oven; roast 12 minutes; remove from heat; add to stockpot.
Place cauliflower and remaining 2 Tbsps. oil in clean bowl; season; toss to coat; roast 5 minutes; add to stockpot; add garbanzo beans.
Bring ingredients in stockpot to a boil; reduce heat to medium-high; simmer 15 to 20 minutes; stir in harissa; season; stir in broccoli, squash, corn, and Romano beans; cook until vegetables are heated through; remove from heat; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, ladle tagine into large bowls; garnish with olives, yogurt, almonds, and herbs.
What to drink: Domaine Huët Vouvray Demi-Sec Clos du Bourg 2010