Smørrebrd: Smoked Sturgeon with Potato/Dill Sauce & Roe
Bar Tartine, San Francisco, Nicolaus Balla / October 2012
For 4 servings
- 1 cup mashed russet potatoes, chilled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsps. dill, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. cured herring roe
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsps. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. horseradish, peeled and freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
Mix all ingredients in a bowl; adjust seasonings.
- 8 slices Danish rye bread
- 8 2” strips smoked sturgeon
- fried shallots or onion
- dill, chopped
- parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 tsps. herring roe
- 1 sm. piece horseradish, peeled
Spread 1 Tbsp. potato/dill sauce over each slice of bread; reserve.
To serve, place 2 slices bread on each plate; top each slice with a sturgeon strip; garnish with fried shallots and herbs; drizzle with oil; top each slice with 1 tsp. roe; grate some horseradish over each slice.
Chef’s Note: Yellow tobiko or sturgeon caviar can be substituted for cured herring roe; smoked sturgeon can be replaced with lox, herring, or sardines.