Wagyu Satay with Green Papaya Salad & Texas Peanut Sauce
Chris Shepherd, Underbelly, Houston / January 2013
For 4 servings
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsps. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce, preferably Red Boat
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
Stir all ingredients in a bowl until sugar is dissolved; cover with plastic wrap; reserve.
Green papaya salad:
- 2 cups green papaya, cut into julienne
- 1/4 cup mint, roughly torn
- 1/4 cup red onion, shaved
- 1/4 cup scallions, cut into julienne
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. dried shrimp
Mix all ingredients in a bowl; pour reserved dressing over papaya salad; toss to coat; cover with plastic wrap; marinate at least 1 hour.
Texas peanut sauce:
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsps. red curry paste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsps. granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
- white pepper, freshly ground
Heat butter in a saucepan set over medium heat; add curry paste; cook, stirring, 1 minute; add coconut milk and sugar; bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; simmer 5 to 6 minutes; remove from heat; place in a blender; add peanuts; blend until smooth; season; place in clean saucepan; reserve (keep warm).
- 12 1-oz. pieces Wagyu beef, cut from sirloin cap
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
Heat a grill to high.
Thread 1 Wagyu piece onto each of 12 bamboo skewers; season; grill until cooked through; remove from grill; place on a platter; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, divide green papaya salad among serving plates; top each with 3 skewers of Wagyu satay; drizzle peanut sauce over.
What to drink: St. Arnold Fancy Lawnmower (Kölsch)