Crispy Whole Gulf Bycatch with Masala Vegetables
Chris Shepherd, Underbelly, Houston / January 2013
For 4 servings
- 2 Tbsps. canola oil plus more for frying
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 1/2 lbs. assorted whole Gulf bycatch (triggerfish, scorpion fish, and porgies)
- 2 Tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1 eggplant, cut into sm. dice
- 2 cups pole beans
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. masala
Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F.
Place flour in shallow bowl; season fish; dredge in flour; fry until cooked through, brown, and crispy (about 10 minutes); remove with a spider; place on a rack; reserve (keep warm).
Heat butter and 2 Tbsps. oil in sauté pan; add eggplant, beans, and tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened; stir in cilantro and masala; season; remove from heat; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, divide vegetables evenly among serving plates; top with fish.
What to drink: Heidi Schröck Weissburgunder Qualitätswein Trocken Burgenland