Duck Breast Cooked in a Prosecco Leaf with Duck Skin “Chips” & Prosecco Must Jus
Marco Bortolini, Gigetto, Miane, Italy - October 2013
For 6 servings
- 3 6 oz. duck breasts, halved
- white pepper, freshly ground
- 5 cups fines herbes, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 organic Prosecco (aka Glera) leaves
- 6 Tbsps. unsalted butter
Remove skins from breasts; reserve skins.
Season breasts; coat with herbs.
Heat oil in sauté pan set over high heat; add duck breasts; cook until brown on both sides; remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
Wrap each breast in a grape leaf; place each breast in a separate vacuum-sealable plastic food bag; add 1 Tbsp. butter in each bag; vacuum-seal; cook in shallow pan of boiling water 35 minutes (or in steamer at 150°F); remove from pan; reserve (keep warm).
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup celery, cut into sm. bâtons
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, cut into sm. bâtons
- 1/3 cup carrots, cut into sm. bâtons
- 1/3 cup celeriac, cut into sm. bâtons
- 1/3 cup zucchini, cut into sm. bâtons
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into sm. bâtons
- 1/2 cup fennel bulb, cut into sm. bâtons
- 1 1/4 cups dill, chopped
- black pepper, freshly ground
Heat oil in sauté pan set over high heat; add vegetables and dill; season; sauté until tender; remove from heat; reserve (keep warm).
- 2 cups Prosecco must
- 1/3 cup dark duck stock
- 1/3 cup light chicken stock 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 grape vine tendrils (for garnish)
Heat oven to 340°F.
Bring grape must to a boil in small saucepan; reduce by 70 percent; add stocks; bring to a boil; stir in butter until emulsified; remove from heat; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, lightly salt reserved duck skins; place between sheets of parchment paper; place on baking sheet; bake until crisp (20 to 25 minutes); cut skin into long strips; mound vegetables in center of each plate; remove breasts from bags; cut each breast into 5 pieces; arrange around vegetables; drizzle with oil; garnish with duck skin chips and vine tendrils; spoon must jus around duck.
What to drink: Silvano Follador Brut Prosecco Superiore di Cartizze 2010