Sandro Romano, Armani Ristorante, New York City - October 2nd, 2013
For 4 servings
- 1/2 lb. 00, pizza, or all-purpose flour
- 8 oz. egg yolks
Mix together flour and egg yolks; knead into dough; let rest in refrigerator.
- 4 med. Italian eggplants, peeled and sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 4 med. beefsteak tomatoes, peeled, sliced, seeded, and sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1/2 cup garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 cup reduced tomato sauce
- 12 oz. smoked Scamorza or Provola cheese, grated and divided into 16 portions
- 1 cup béchamel sauce
- 2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated and divided into 4 portions
- 6 basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup dried thyme
Place eggplant and tomato on parchment-lined baking sheets; brush with garlic oil; season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
Bake separately: eggplant at 350˚F until golden brown (approximately 20 minutes), and tomato at 210˚F until slightly dried (approximately 2 hours).
Roll out 1/16"-thick sheets of dough; use mold to cut 16 4" rounds of dough; blanch dough in salted boiling water; transfer to ice bath to stop cooking process; reserve on paper towel to dry.
Place 4 dough rounds on oiled baking pan; layer tomato, eggplant, tomato sauce, Scamorza cheese, julienned basil, dried oregano, and béchamel sauce; repeat three times, topping final round with Parmigiano; bake at 350˚F 15 minutes.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tbsps. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Boil cream; reduce by half; add cheese, stirring until dissolved.
Divide and spoon sauce evenly onto center of plates; place one lasagnetta in center of sauce.