Stuffed Turkey Breast with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Julio Genao, Casa Nonna, New York City - November 25th, 2013
Stuffed turkey breast:
- 1 turkey breast, butterflied and split 5 to 7 lb. total
- 2 Tbsps. black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups Pullman bread, crust removed and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lb. pancetta, cut into 1/4” thick strips
- 1 1/2 lbs. turkey, ground
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. thyme, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sage, chopped
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups dry white wine
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Pound the butterflied breasts to flatten; season with salt and pepper.
Mix together the bread and milk; let sit for 1 hour.
In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the ground turkey, eggs, herbs, cheese, and bread; mix on low for 1 minute, until coming together; add cranberries; season; reserve.
Place two turkey pieces on cutting board skin-side down; divide stuffing between them; roll breasts like jellyroll; wrap pancetta around each roll; tie firmly with butcher’s twine.
Place rolls in roasting pan in oven, skin-side up; pour wine over; season; roast until dark golden brown and a meat thermometer registers 165˚F at the fattest part of breast, about 1 hour; remove and rest 15 to 20 minutes; carve and serve.
Roasted sweet potatoes:
- 3 Tbsps. unsalted butter, melted
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsps. Pure vanilla extract
- 1 shot rum or Cognac
- 4 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” thick rounds
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1” thick quarters
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsps. olive oil
- 2 tsps. kosher salt
Heat oven to 400˚F.
Melt butter in large saucepan; add shallots and honey; cook for 2 minutes; add vanilla and Cognac; flambé; reserve.
Toss the sweet potatoes and apples with the butter mixture; place in hotel pan; add water; cover with foil; bake 20 minutes; remove from oven; uncover; stir potato/apple mix; return to oven uncovered; bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden.