Fresh Heart of Palm with Scallops
Alex Atala, D.O.M.: Rediscovering Brazilian Ingredients - December 27th, 2013
This recipe has been adapted from D.O.M.: Rediscovering Brazilian Ingredients by Alex Atala―a book featured in Word-to-Table Cooking, Food Arts' yearly roundup of chef-authored cookbooks.
- 15g parsley
- 5g sage
- 5g thyme
- 5g oregano
- 5g rosemary
- 250ml extra-virgin olive oil
Chop herbs; mix with oil in a bowl; reserve.
- 1 3/4 oz. (50g) basil
- 2 fl. oz. (50ml) canola oil
Bring pan of water to a boil; remove from heat; place basil leaves in it; steep 5 seconds; remove leaves and shock them in ice water; strain leaves and fold them in clean dish towel, lightly twisting to remove excess water; puree leaves and oil in blender, about 1 minute; place mixture in small pan; simmer 10 minutes (do not let temperature rise above 150˚F/65˚C); remove from heat; cool; strain through fine chinois; reserve.
- 2 fl. oz. (50ml) lime juice
- 1 fl. oz. (25ml) soy sauce
- corals from 8 scallops, brown parts removed
Puree lime juice, soy sauce, and corals in blender; strain through chinois; reserve in refrigerator.
- 120g squid, cleaned, cut into fine rings, and blanched 2 minutes
- 20g hijiki seaweed, rehydrated in cold water 2 minutes
- chives, chopped
- parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- 200g pupunha (heart of palm), cut into 2mm slices and punched into 4cm disks with round metal ring
- 8 scallops, sliced in half
- 10g horseradish, grated
- sea salt
Mix together squid and seaweed; season with 10ml herb oil, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Place 1 heart of palm disk on a plate; place half a scallop on top, followed by small spoonful of horseradish on scallop; repeat process, ending with heart of palm; garnish with squid on top; sprinkle with sea salt.
On a slate, make a trace of coral sauce, with dash of basil oil on top; place heart of palm composition at other end of slate; finish with chervil.
D.O.M. Rediscovering Brazilian Ingredients by Alex Atala, Phaidon, September 2013, $49.95, www.phaidon.com