Philippe by Philippe Chow, New York City, Philippe Chow - January 27th, 2014
- 1 bag fresh spinach
Puree spinach in blender on high speed, adding water as needed until becomes a juice; reserve.
- 1/2 lb. U15 shrimp
Cut shrimp in half lengthwise; add to mixing bowl; pour 1/2 cup spinach juice over shrimp; marinate for 4 hours.
- peanut oil (for stir-frying)
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, cut in 1' squares or julienned
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, such as shiitake, enoki, or oyster
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Thai chile pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- slurry made of 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. cold water
- black pepper, freshly ground
Heat oil in wok; stir-fry chestnuts, bell peppers, and mushrooms over high heat until softened.
Remove shrimp from juice; add to hot wok and cook 2 minutes, flipping shrimp often; add garlic and Thai chile; add chicken stock; once boiling, add slurry; once thick, add vegetables and shrimp; season; serve immediately.