Scallop & Oyster Seviche
Daniel Boulud and Dorie Greenspan, Café Boulud Cookbook - February 12th, 2014
Adapted from the Café Boulud Cookbook by Daniel Boulud and Dorie Greenspan.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 lime, zested with 8 suprêmes diced and reserved
- 2 tsps. fresh horseradish, finely grated
- 3 drops Tabasco pepper sauce
- 4 1 1/2 to 2 oz. jumbo diver scallops, cut crosswise into 5 or 6 slices
- fleur de sel
- 16 Blue Point or other medium briny oysters, shucked and liquor reserved
- leaves from 1 celery stalk from the center of the bunch, finely sliced
- 1 to 2 small pink radishes, scrubbed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 2 oz. (or more, if you want) sevruga or osetra
- white pepper, freshly ground
- slices of buttered pumpernickel, for serving
Whisk lime juice, zest, horseradish, and Tabasco together in small bowl; add scallops; turn gently in lime mixture; reserve in refrigerator.
Once opaque, divide scallops among chilled serving bowls, arranging slices in an overlapping circle; season with fleur de sel; arrange 4 oysters over each portion of scallops; top with equal amount of celery leaves, radish slices, diced lime, and chives; finish with small quenelle of caviar.
To serve, carefully pour a little oyster liquor into each bowl; season with pepper; serve immediately with slices of buttered pumpernickel.