Corn Tostadas with Chocolate Clams (Tostada de Maiz Azul y Almeja Chocolata)
Pujol, Mexico City, Enrique Olvera - March 2014
For 4 servings
- 1 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 3 Tbsps. (45ml) olive oil
Cook garlic directly over flame of a burner until softened; peel; place garlic in a blender; add oil; blend until smooth; place garlic oil in airtight container; reserve in refrigerator.
- 3 Tbsps. (22g) Maseca corn flour
- 3 Tbsps. (22g) blue corn meal
- 1/4 tsp. (1.5g) salt
- 5 Tbsps. (75ml) grapeseed oil
Whisk corn flour, blue corn meal, and salt in large bowl; mix in oil and 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps. (206ml) water until batter is smooth (there should be no lumps); reserve.
Heat cast-iron pan over medium-high heat; pour 1 Tbsp. dough into pan; cook until lightly brown; remove from pan with a spatula; set on paper towels; reserve (keep warm).
- 3 Tbsps. (40g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (40g) red onion, cut into brunoise
- 6 Tbsps. plus 2 tsps. (20g) chives, chopped
- 8 cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 chocolate clams, shucked, muscle and tip cut into sm. dice
Heat butter in a saucepan set over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until browned; remove from heat immediately; pour into airtight container; cool.
Mix onion, chives, and cilantro in a bowl; add juice, garlic oil, and brown butter to taste; mix well; reserve.
To serve, place a tostada on each serving plate; spoon onion mixture over; top each with a clam; garnish each with 2 cilantro leaves.
What to drink: Azelia Nebbiolo Langhe 2011