Sunday Night Fried Chicken
Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana, Donald Link - March 3rd, 2014
- 1 3-4 lb. chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 tsps. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 5 dashes Louisiana hot sauce
- 3 cups lard, vegetable shortening, or bacon fat
- 1 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
- 2-3 cups all-purpose flour
Place chicken pieces in mixing bowl; season with salt, pepper, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder, and hot sauce; toss to coat evenly; cover with plastic; marinate 1 hour or up to 1 day in refrigerator.
Heat lard in large cast-iron skillet to 350˚F.
Remove chicken from spices; transfer to clean mixing bowl; pour buttermilk over; remove from buttermilk, allowing excess liquid to drip off; transfer to clean bowl; add flour; toss to coat; shake off excess flour; add to hot oil, starting with larger pieces first; fry 8 minutes on each side, turning as necessary; transfer to plate lined with paper towels; cut breast in half; serve.