Chess Pie with Toasted Swiss Meringue, Almond Streusel, Spice Oil & Juniper Ganache
Linton Hopkins, Restaurant Eugene, Atlanta - April 2014
For 24 servings (requires advance preparation)
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) white peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) allspice berries
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) pink peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) juniper berries
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) whole star anise
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp. (1g) vanilla bean
- 2 1/4 cups (529ml) sunflower oil
Place all ingredients except oil in a processor; blend spices; add oil; process until mixed; let steep for 1 day; strain through fine chinois; reserve oil.
- 24 Tbsps. (340g) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 2 2/3 cups (525g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cups (313ml) buttermilk
- 6 lg. eggs
- 1 strip lemon zest
- 2 tsps. (10g) vanilla paste
- 1/2 tsp. (3g) salt
- 2/3 cups (80g) all-purpose flour, sifted
Heat convection oven to 266°F with fan on.
Butter a half hotel pan; reserve.
Pulse 24 Tbsps. butter, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, zest, vanilla paste, and salt in a processor to combine; pulse in flour just to combine; pour into prepared pan; cook 40 minutes; remove from oven; cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until cold.
Unmold pie; cut into 1 1/3" by 2 1/3" rectangles; wrap in plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
- 15 1/2 oz. (440g) white chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 2/3 cups (391ml) heavy cream
- 2 tsps. (10g) juniper berries, crushed
Place white chocolate in large bowl; reserve.
Bring cream and juniper to a boil in a saucepan; remove from heat; let steep 10 minutes; strain through fine chinois into bowl with chocolate; discard juniper; stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; cool; cover with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
- 1 1/2 cups (306g) granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsps. (64g) glucose
- 6 lg. egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. (1g) salt
- 1/8 tsp. (.5g) cream of tartar
Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar in the bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Heat sugar, glucose, and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan until a candy thermometer reads 248°F.
With mixer running on high speed, gradually add syrup; continue to whisk until cool; reserve.
- 3 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbsps. (480g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (340g) brown sugar
- 1 1/8 cups (270g) almonds, finely ground
- 21 Tbsps. (294g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
Heat oven to 350°F.
Whisk flour, sugar, and almonds in a bowl; mix in butter to form clumps; scatter over baking sheet lined with parchment paper; bake until golden (about 6 minutes); remove from oven; cool; cover; reserve.
To serve, spread a generous amount of meringue on serving plates; brown with a torch; place a rectangle of pie on top; garnish with streusel; top with a quenelle of ganache; drizzle with oil.
What to drink: Cordial glass rinsed with Uncle Val’s Botanical Gin, then filled with Château Les Arroucats Cuvée Virginie Sainte-Croix-du-Mont