Grilled Mackerel with Fairytale Eggplants, Corn & Calamari
Michael Anthony, Gramercy Tavern, New York City - April 2014
For 6 servings
White soy vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup (59ml) olive oil
- 3 Tbsps. (45ml) white soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) lime juice
Whisk all ingredients in small bowl; reserve.
Grilled eggplant puree:
- 1 med. eggplant, pierced all over with a fork
- 1/2 cup (117ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (80g) shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- lemon juice
Heat a grill to high.
Grill eggplant, turning occasionally, until very tender; remove from grill; place on a platter; let stand until cool enough to handle; cut into 1" dice.
Heat oil in a skillet set over medium heat; add shallots and garlic; season; sweat, stirring occasionally; add eggplant; cover with cartouche; cook (about 4 minutes); remove from heat; place mixture in a blender; blend until smooth; season with salt and juice; reserve (keep warm).
Corn & calamari:
- 2 tsps. (10ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (328g) corn kernels
- 1/2 cup (58g) cipollini onions, julienned
- 6 oz. (170g) calamari, rinsed and cut into thin rings
- 2 Tbsps. (11g) jalapeño, cut into brunoise
- lime juice
- 2 Tbsps. (2g) cilantro, minced
Heat oil in large sauté pan set over medium-high heat; add corn and onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened; add calamari and jalapeño; cook, stirring, until calamari is firm and opaque (about 2 minutes); season with salt and juice; stir in cilantro; remove from heat; reserve (keep warm).
- 6 4- to 5-oz. (113g to 142g) mackerel fillets
- 2 tsps. (10ml) oil
- 9 fairytale eggplants, halved lengthwise
- black pepper, freshly ground
- micro shiso (for serving)
Heat a grill to high.
Grill mackerel flesh-side down until grill marks form (2 to 3 minutes); flip; grill until medium-rare (about 2 to 3 minutes); remove from heat; place on a platter; reserve (keep warm).
Place fairytale eggplants on the grill cut-side down; cook until grill marks form and eggplants are slightly softened; remove from heat; place cut-side up on a platter; season; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, place a line of eggplant puree down center of each serving plate; spoon corn/calamari mixture across puree; place 3 fairytale eggplant halves along corn/calamari mix; top with grilled mackerel; garnish with micro shiso; drizzle mackerel with white soy vinaigrette.
What to drink: Louis Pinson Chablis Mont de Milieu Premier Cru 2012