Poached Eggs with Foie Gras, Bacon & Johnnycakes
Linton Hopkins, Restaurant Eugene, Atlanta - April 2014
For 4 servings
- 2/3 tsp. (4g) kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 2-oz. portions foie gras, deveined
- 8 slices bacon
- 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. (191ml) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (100g) fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (50g) lard, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbsp. (14g) unsalted butter
- 4 lg. eggs
- sorghum syrup (for serving)
Heat nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat until very hot; season foie gras; sear 30 seconds; flip; sear on other side 30 seconds; remove from skillet; reserve (keep warm).
Cook bacon in large skillet set over medium-high heat until brown and crisp; place on paper towels to drain; reserve (keep warm).
Whisk buttermilk, cornmeal, lard, and 2/3 tsp. salt in large bowl; heat butter on a griddle over medium-high heat; working in batches, cook spoonfuls of batter on griddle until brown; flip; cook on other side until brown and cooked through; place johnnycakes on a plate; reserve (keep warm).
Poach eggs in simmering water until whites are set and yolk is still runny; remove, using a slotted spoon; place on a platter; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, place a johnnycake on each plate; top with a poached egg, 1 slice foie gras, and 2 slices bacon; drizzle sorghum syrup around.
What to drink: Jailhouse Breakout Stout