Oyster with Carolina Rice Grits & Ramp Capers
Jamie Young, Atera, New York City - March 17th, 2014
Makes 5 tasting portions (requires advanced preparation)
- 2 cups ramp seeds, cleaned under cold water
- kosher salt
1) In a Mason jar, pack the capers until completely and evenly covered in salt; leave to cure 1 month.
2) Before use, remove from salt; rinse.
- 1 cup rice grits
- 4 cups water
- 2 Tbsps. Unsalted butter
Combine grits and water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer until rice is tender; add butter; mix to combine; add cream as needed or until grits become creamy like risotto; season.
- 4 cups rice grits
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup turnip juice
- 4 dried oysters
- 1 to 2 Tbsps. unsalted butter
Combine all ingredients in Gastrovac machine; set temperature to 72°C (160°F); cook 1 hour; strain liquid from the pot into medium saucepan; bring to a boil to thicken (the milk will naturally thicken from its own starch); whisk in butter; season; reserve.
- 6 egg whites
- 3 cups salt
- dried greens from red cedar branch
- 2 med. Hakueri turnips, washed and dried
1) Heat oven to 160°C (320°F).
2) Whip egg whites to medium peaks; add salt and cedar greens; mix to combine.
3) On half sheet tray lined with parchment paper, make 2 small piles of salt/egg mixture; nestle turnips atop each pile; completely cover each turnip with remaining mixture; bake 25 to 35 minutes, until the turnips are tender; remove turnips from crust; peel skin; cut into small dice; fold into rice grits at proportion of about 2:1 grits to turnips.
- 5 briny East Coast oysters
- dried red cedar branch
- ice lettuce
- 5 wedges rangpur lime or yuzu
1) Heat a grill.
2) Lightly warm and smoke the oysters on the grill with dried cedar branch.
3) Heat grits in small saucepot; adjust with salt and butter as needed; warm rice milk; adjust consistency with butter and salt.
4) Place the grits onto the bottom of each plate; place oyster atop of the grits; spoon sauce over top; arrange ice lettuce, minutina, and ramp capers over the oyster; serve with a wedge of citrus.