Beets & Berries
CJ Jacobson, Girasol, Studio City, CA - April 23rd, 2014
For 1 serving
Goat’s milk cheese cream:
- 1 cup goat’s milk cheese
- 2 Tbsps. heavy cream
- black pepper, freshly ground
Whisk cheese and cream together until smooth; season; reserve.
- 4 to 6 baby beets of different varieties
- 1 Tbsp. roasted hazelnuts
- 3 blueberries
- 2 raspberries
- 1 strawberry, halved or quartered
- 1 blackberry
- 1 fig, halved
- assortment of herb leaves such as chervil, parsley, tarragon, shiso, minutina, or New Zealand spinach
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- seasoned salt
1) Boiled beets in large pot 20 minutes (or until cooked through); peel; slice into half or quarters, or shave into thin pieces on a mandolin; reserve.
2) To serve, smear cream on plate; place beets on top; sprinkle hazelnuts around; add berries and fig; arrange herbs on top; drizzle olive oil and lemon juice around; season with pinch of salt.