Crab Bone Marrow
Ryan McCaskey, Acadia, Chicago - May 2014
For 2 servings
- 1 1/2 oz. (43g) peekytoe lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp. (15g) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. (5g) truffle paste
- 1 tsp. (1g) chives, minced
- 1 tsp. (1g) chervil, minced
- 1 tsp. (1g) tarragon, minced
Mix all ingredients in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold.
- 1 oz. (28g) confit veal cheeks (cooked in lard 2 hours at very low simmer)
- beef stock or veal demi-glace
- 2 tsps. (2g) chives, minced
- 2 oz. (57g) bone marrow, steamed briefly to extract from split bone
- garlic chips (for garnishing)
- spiced sunflower seeds (for garnishing)
- red ribbon sorrel (for garnishing)
- micro bronze fennel (for garnishing)
- micro chervil (for garnishing)
Heat veal cheeks in some stock until warmed through; season; stir in chives; remove from heat; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, place split bone on each plate; line bone with veal cheeks; evenly spread with crab mixture; top with marrow; warm marrow with a blowtorch until it starts to melt; garnish with garlic chips, spiced sunflower seeds, sorrel, fennel, and chervil.
What to drink: Albert Mann Riesling Alsace Grand Cru Schlossberg 2007