Smoky Fried Chicken
Ernesto Uchimura, Plan Check Kitchen + Bar, Los Angeles - May 7th, 2014
Smoked milk gravy:
- 1/2 lb. hot smoked chicken parts (meat, gizzards)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 4 oz. mirepoix
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 qts. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- black pepper, freshly ground
Brown chicken parts in butter in a stainless-steel heavy bottomed pot; add mirepoix and garlic; cook on medium heat until lightly browned; add flour; cook until roux forms; whisk milk in slowly; add garlic and paprika; simmer 15 minutes; puree all the ingredients until smooth (do not strain); season; adjust consistency with chicken stock if necessary.
- 5 Red Garnet yams, diced
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups water
Cook all ingredients over medium-low heat until mixture reaches jam-like consistency; can preserves, using standard canning process.
Pickled spicy okra:
- 1 lb. okra
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1/2 gallon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Place okra in large bowl; bring remaining ingredients to boil in heavy saucepan; pour hot brine over okra; pickle one week.
Smoky fried chicken:
- hickory chips (for smoking)
- Jidori chicken thighs, skin on
- standard brine using buttermilk in place of water
- beef tallow, lard, or bacon grease (for frying)
- 1 qt. rice flour dredge (1 cup freshly ground jasmine rice)
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
!. Set up cold smoker with hickory chips; cold smoke chicken thighs 45 minutes; remove from smoker; cool immediately; place in brine 4 to 36 hours; drain chicken; reserve.
- Heat fat in deep fryer to 325˚F; coat chicken in rice flour dredge; fry until cooked and golden brown; season; serve with 3 oz. reserved smoked milk gravy; garnish with 2 oz. reserved yams and pickled okra.