Southern Spoonbread with Gulf Oysters
Cory Bahr, Restaurant Cotton and Nonna, Monroe, Louisiana - May 2014
For 12 servings
- 3 Tbsps. (43g) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 3/4 cup (119g) stone- or water-ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp. (6g) salt
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 cup (235ml) whole milk
- 2 tsps. (9g) baking powder
Heat oven to 350°F.
Generously butter 8" baking pan; reserve.
Mix cornmeal and salt in a bowl; stirring constantly, gradually add 1 cup (235ml) boiling water; stir until smooth; stir in butter; reserve.
Beat eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment until thickened and pale in color; beat in milk; add egg mixture and baking powder to cornmeal mixture; whisk until combined; pour into baking dish; bake until firm (about 30 minutes); remove from oven; place on wire rack; cool; cut into 12 pieces; reserve.
- 4 slices thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 cup (86g) wild mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsps. (30ml) grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp. (.4g) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup (59ml) Herbsaint
- 1 pint (460g) oysters, shucked, strained, and liquor reserved
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 Tbsps. (114g) unsalted butter, cut into sm. pieces
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
Cook lardons in large skillet set over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp; remove from skillet with a slotted spoon; place on paper towels to drain; increase heat to medium-high; add mushrooms to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute; add leek, garlic, oil, and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes; deglaze skillet with Herbsaint; add oysters and reserved liquor; bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, vegetables are softened, and oysters begin to curl around edges; season; remove from heat; gradually stir in butter; stir in juice; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, divide spoon bread among serving bowls; spoon oyster sauce over.