Roasted Quail with Hazelnut Pesto, Celeriac Rémoulade & Foie Gras
Neil Borthwick, Merchants Tavern, London - May 2014
For 4 servings
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 1/4 tsps. (20g) rock salt
- 2 jumbo quail, legs separated
- 3/4 cup (200g) duck fat
Mix thyme, rosemary, garlic, and salt in hotel pan; add quail legs; pat with salt mixture; let stand 30 minutes.
Heat duck fat in small pan set over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer registers 175°F; remove legs from salt mixture, brushing off any excess; add to fat; cook, turning occasionally, until thigh bone easily pops out of joint (about 30 minutes); remove from heat; remove quail legs from fat; place on platter; cool; discard fat; reserve legs.
- 6 lg. egg yolks
- 3 Tbsps. (45g) Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 1/2 cups (587ml) grapeseed oil
- 1/4 celeriac, peeled, and julienned
- 2 tsps. (10g) whole grain mustard
Whisk yolks, Dijon mustard, vinegar, juice, and salt in a bowl; whisking constantly, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream; whisk until mayonnaise is thickened and smooth; cover with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
Place celeriac in a bowl; season; let stand 10 minutes; squeeze to remove excess water; place in clean bowl; add enough mayonnaise to bring together; stir in mustard; cover with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
- 2 Treviso radicchio, julienned
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps. (206ml) red wine
- 7 Tbsps. (105ml) Port
- 3 Tbsps. plus 1 tsp. (50ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsps. (20g) golden raisins
Heat large skillet set over low heat; add all ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, until radicchio has softened and mixture is chutney consistency; remove from heat; reserve.
- 1/2 cup (50g) Parmesan, finely grated
- 1/4 cup (50g) hazelnuts, toasted and crushed
- 7 Tbsps. plus 1 tsp. (110ml) grapeseed oil
- 3 Tbsps. plus 2 tsps. (55ml) hazelnut oil
- 1/2 tsp. (3g) salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 Treviso radicchio, broken into leaves
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 1/2" slices grade A foie gras, deveined
Heat oven to 350°F.
Mix Parmesan, hazelnuts, both oils, and salt in large bowl to create a pesto; reserve.
Remove breasts from quails; season lightly; heat oil in large skillet over high heat; cook breasts, turning occasionally, until brown all over; place in roasting pan; roast until cooked through, tender, and springy to the touch at thickest part; remove from oven; let rest 15 minutes.
To serve, add radicchio leaves to pesto; mix well; divide among serving plates; place a spoonful of rémoulade and spoonful or chutney on each plate; heat large skillet over high heat; cook reserved quail legs and foie gras, turning occasionally, until golden brown; remove from heat; place quail legs and foie gras on a wire rack to drain; divide between plates.