Yogurt Panna Cotta with Lemon Cream & Granola Verrine
b. patisserie, San Francisco, Belinda Leong - June 2014
For 12 servings
- 3 1/3 cups (405g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 2/3 cups (365g) cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups (405g) almond flour
- 16 lg. egg yolks
- 4 1/3 cups (1,058g) egg whites
- 2 1/4 cups plus 3 Tbsps. (486g) granulated sugar
Heat oven to 350°F.
Mix confectioners’ sugar, cake flour, almond flour, egg yolks, and 1 cup (248g) egg whites in large bowl; reserve.
Beat remaining 3 1/3 cups (810g) egg whites in the bowl of electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment until frothy; with motor running, gradually add granulated sugar; beat to firm peaks; fold meringue into almond flour mixture; spread out in baking sheet lined with nonstick baking mat; smooth with offset spatula; bake until golden brown and center springs back when gently pressed (about 7 minutes); remove from oven; cool; reserve.
- 4 cups (800g) granulated sugar
- 3 cups (705ml) lemon juice
- 5 lemons, zested
- 5 lg. eggs
- 10 Tbsps. (142g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Heat sugar, juice, zest, and eggs in the top of double boiler set over simmering water, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon; remove from heat; cool until warm.
Stir in butter, one piece at a time, waiting until completely incorporated before adding the next piece; cool; cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly against surface; refrigerate until cold.
- 1/2 cup plus 3 Tbsps. (200g) raspberry puree
- 1/4 cup (59ml) simple syrup
- 3 bronze gelatin sheets, bloomed in cold water
Heat raspberry puree and simple syrup in a saucepan set over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium; squeeze excess liquid from gelatin; add gelatin to puree; stir until dissolved; remove from heat; pour into squeeze bottle; strain; cool; reserve in refrigerator.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsps. (180g) rolled oats
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsps. (80g) sliced almonds
- 2/3 tsp. (4g) salt
- 3/4 cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- 8 1/2 Tbsps. (120g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (78ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
Heat oven to 325°F.
Mix oats, almonds, flour, and salt in a bowl; reserve.
Heat butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a saucepan set over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved; remove from heat; pour over oat mixture; toss to coat; spread out on baking sheet in an even layer; bake, stirring occasionally, until golden; remove from oven; cool; cover in airtight container; reserve.
- 6 lemons, halved and ends trimmed
- 4 1/4 cups (1L) water
- 2 1/2 cups (500g) granulated sugar
Bring all ingredients to a boil in large pot; reduce heat to medium; simmer until lemons soften; remove from pot; cool lemons; remove rind, discard flesh; chop rind into small pieces; reserve.
- 1 1/4 cups (294ml) heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups (294ml) whole milk
- 4 1/2 cups (900g) granulated sugar
- 1 (4g) bronze gelatin sheet, bloomed in cold water
- 2 3/4 cups (550g) Greek yogurt
- 1/3 (1g) vanilla bean, split and scraped
- raspberries and blueberries, halved (for serving)
Heat cream, milk, and sugar in a saucepan set over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot; squeeze water from gelatin; add to cream mixture; stir until gelatin is dissolved; remove from heat; strain through fine chinois into clean bowl set in ice water bath; stir in yogurt; cool, stirring occasionally.
Spoon some raspberry gelée into bottom of each serving glass; top with lemon confit; cut out almond jaconde cake with a round cutter slightly smaller than diameter of glass; place on top of confit; divide panna cotta over; cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until panna cotta is chilled and set.
To serve, spoon a layer of citron cream on top of panna cotta; garnish with granola and raspberries.
What to drink: Arnaud Briday St.–Amour Domaine des Chers Vieilles Vignes 2012