Grilled Octopus & Jumbo Asparagus with Romesco, Hearts of Palm & Chorizo
Christopher Hastings, Hot and Hot Fish Club, Birmingham, Alabama - June 2014
For 8 servings
- 8 octopus tentacles, cleaned
- 5 cups (1.2L) vegetable stock
- olive oil
- black pepper, freshly ground
Place octopus and stock in pressure cooker; lock lid into place; set heat to high; cook 15 minutes; release pressure; remove octopus from pressure cooker; cool.
Place octopus in large bowl; drizzle with oil; season; toss to coat; cover with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
Chorizo & chorizo powder:
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (227g) chorizo, cut into sm. dice
- 4 1/4 tsps. (20g) maltodextrin
- 1/8 tsp. (.7g) salt
Heat oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat; add chorizo; cook, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp; remove; place on paper towels to drain; reserve.
Cool chorizo oil; whisk in maltodextrin and salt; cover chorizo powder in airtight container; reserve.
Preserved lemon vinaigrette:
- 2 preserved Meyer lemons
- 1 cup (235ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (235ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsps. (2g) shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 tsps. (2g) parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsps. (2g) chives, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsps. (2g) thyme, chopped
Remove peel from lemons; discard flesh; place peel in large bowl; add remaining ingredients; whisk well; cover; reserve.
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, grilled
- 1/2 cup (117ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- 1 garlic bulb, halved crosswise and roasted
- 1/4 cup (60g) tomatoes, roasted
- 1/4 cup (59ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (36g) blanched almonds, roasted
- 3 Tbsps. (45ml) lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. (2g) saffron
Place all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth; place in airtight container; cover; reserve.
- 16 jumbo asparagus, peeled and blanched
- 2 cups (460g) fresh hearts of palm, cut into rings
- 2 cups foraged greens (for serving)
- 1/4 cup (58g) green olive petals, sliced
- salmon roe
- lemon oil
Heat a grill to high.
Grill octopus, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through; place in large bowl with asparagus and 1/4 cup preserved lemon vinaigrette; toss to coat.
To serve, spoon 3 Tbsps. romesco in center of each serving plate; place 2 jumbo asparagus on right side of plate; top with some octopus; place hearts of palm and greens in a medium bowl; drizzle with preserved lemon vinaigrette; toss to coat; arrange 5 hearts of palm rings, 1/4 cup dressed greens, and 5 olive petals on each plate; top with 1 tsp. reserved chorizo; sprinkle chorizo powder around; garnish with roe; drizzle lemon oil around.
What to drink: Can Feixes Blanc Selecció 2012