Michael Berardino , Dylan Prime, New York City - July 2nd, 2014
- 3 Tbsps. olive oil
- 5 lbs. ground lamb
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 med. red onion, cut into small dice
- 1 carrot, cut into small dice
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into small dice
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 rosemary sprigs, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsps. cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 tsps. black pepper, ground
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
Heat olive oil in large rondeau over medium heat; combine ground lamb and salt; in small batches, brown lamb in rondeau, draining to remove excess fat; reserve lamb; using reserved fat, add vegetables; cook until translucent; add tomato paste; cook until golden; add herbs and spices; cook until spices are aromatic; add white wine; cook until dry; return lamb to rondeau; add enough stock to cover meat; cover with parchment cartouche; simmer until meat is tender, adding more stock as needed to prevent mixture from scorching; reserve.
- 2 Tbsps. plus 2 tsps. unsalted butter
- 4 potato rolls or brioche buns, halved
- 2 Tbsps. plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 lg. eggs
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Salata, grated
Melt 2 tsps. butter; butter rolls; toast in preheated 350˚F oven; reserve.
Heat remaining 2 Tbsps. butter and 1 tsp. olive oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add eggs; cook sunny-side up; reserve.
Dress arugula with remaining 2 Tbsps. olive oil and lemon juice; reserve.
Place meat ragù on bun; top with Ricotta Salata, fried egg, and dressed arugula; serve.