Shu Mai-Style Burgers
The Essential New York Times Grilling Cookbook , Peter Kaminsky - June 13th, 2014
- 1/2 lb. shrimp, peeled
- 2 med. cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder, fat cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tsps. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 sm. fresh chile, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- black pepper, freshly ground
- cabbage, shredded (for garnish)
- pickled pepper (for garnish)
Heat grill to medium-high; place rack 4” above fire.
Place shrimp and garlic in food processor; pulse until just chopped; place mixture in large bowl.
Working in batches, grind pork fat until just chopped (be careful not to overprocess); add to shrimp; grind meat until just chopped (again being careful not to overprocess); add to mixture; mix shrimp, pork fat, and meat with soy sauce, scallions, cilantro, chile, and ginger; season; shape into 8 patties.
Grill patties about 4 minutes; turn, continuing to cook for a total of 8 to 10 minutes, or until nicely browned and cooked through.
Place patties on buns; serve with scallions, cilantro, cabbage, and pickled pepper.
Adapted from The Essential New York Times Grilling Cookbook edited by Peter Kaminsky with a foreword by Mark Bittman. Published Spring 2014 by Stirling Epicure.