Roasted Baby Beets with Pickled Mustard Seeds & Vadouvan
Teague Moriarty, Matt McNamara, Sons & Daughters, San Francisco - July/August 2014
For 6 servings
- 16 baby beets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 orange, halved
Heat oven to 345°F.
Place beets in shallow baking dish; add oil, salt, orange, and 2 cups water; toss to coat; cover with foil; bake until beets are fork-tender (about 1 1/2 hours); remove from oven; drain if needed; discard orange.
Trim beets; remove skins; discard; halve or quarter beets, depending on size; place in airtight container; reserve.
- 4 lg. onions, very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 12 shallots, very thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 lb. (454g) unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsps. (20g) yellow mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp. (8g) ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. (8g) ground caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 tsps. (3g) ground coriander
- 2 2/3 tsps. (2g) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. (2g) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. (.5 g) ground cloves
Heat onions, shallots, and butter in large pot set over medium heat; cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until very dark brown (about 2 hours); remove from heat; drain, discarding liquid.
Place onions and shallots on baking sheet lined with paper towels; let stand until onions are dry and crunchy (about 1 hour); place in a bowl; add spices; toss to coat; reserve.
Pickled mustard seeds:
- 1/4 cup (45g) yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup (59ml) raspberry vinegar
- 2 Tbsps. (25g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. (6g) salt
Bring all ingredients and 1/4 cup (59ml) water to a boil in small saucepan; reduce heat; gently simmer until seeds are plump (about 45 minutes); remove from heat; cool; place in airtight container; cover; reserve in refrigerator.
- 2 cups (400g) Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (59ml) cucumber juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 cup (59ml) lemon juice
- tarragon (for garnish)
- mustard greens (for garnish)
- beet tops (for garnish)
- fleur de sel
Whisk yogurt, cucumber juice, and zest in a bowl; season; cover with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator.
To serve, spoon dollops of yogurt around each plate; toss reserved beets and lemon juice in a bowl; mound a little on each plate; place several dollops of pickled mustard seeds around; sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. vadouvan mixture; garnish with tarragon, mustard greens, and beet tops; sprinkle with fleur de sel.
What to drink: H. Dönnhoff Riesling QbA Nahe 2011