Char-Grilled Andouille Po’ Boy with Shrimp Remoulade, Cabbage & Green Tomato Pickles
Big Jones, Chicago, Paul Fehribach - July 22nd, 2014
Makes 2 cups
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 8 oz. 50/70 count Key West pink shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 lg. egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsps. kosher salt
- 2 tsps. dry mustard powder
- 2 tsps. granulated garlic
- 2 tsps. cayenne pepper
- 4 Tbsps. grated horseradish
- 2 Tbsps. distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup cold water
Heat oil to 175˚F in 1 qt. saucepan; add shrimp and cook until internal temperature reaches 168˚F, stirring often; remove with slotted spoon; drain on wire rack; reserve in refrigerator; cool poaching oil to 70˚F.
Place egg yolks and dry ingredients in 4 qt. stainless-steel mixing bowl; whisk until creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes; slowly whisk in vinegar until eggs begin to thicken; whisk in poaching oil until desired consistency; fold in reserved shrimp; adjust seasoning; reserve in refrigerator.
- 4 cups white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsps. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1/2 tsps. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Place cabbage, carrot, and onions in 4 qt. mixing bowl; add celery seeds, pepper, and salt; toss to combine evenly; add vinegar; toss; add olive oil; toss; adjust seasoning; cover tightly with plastic wrap; reserve in refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 24 hours before serving.
Mirliton bread & butter pickles:
Makes 4 1-qt. jars
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 4 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsps. ground turmeric
- 4 Tbsps. ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. celery seeds
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsps. crushed red pepper
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsps. whole coriander seed
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 lbs. chayote squash, cut into 8 to 12 pieces, then cut in half and sliced 1/8” thick
Bring all ingredients except chayote squash to a boil in large stockpot; reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes; divide chayotes evenly among 4 1-qt. canning jars; strain hot brine into another saucepan, discarding spices; ladle hot brine over chayotes; seal jars; cool on counter; store in refrigerator up to 2 months.
- 2 lbs. (about 20”) smoked andouille sausage in beef casings
- 4 10” French rolls, new Orleans-style
Split andouille sausage lengthwise; remove casings; grill on charcoal or gas grill until charred, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Split rolls; spread 1/2 cup reserved rémoulade on each roll; divide andouille sausage between each roll; top with reserved vinegar slaw and pickles; serve.