Chen Xiaoming, Long Jing Cao Tang, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China - September 2014
For 4 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsps. (265ml) soy milk
- 2 lg. egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups (294ml) chicken stock
- 1 sm. piece cured ham, cut into very sm. dice
- 1 to 2 dried scallops, rehydrated, drained, and cut into very sm. dice
- 1 bamboo mushroom, rehydrated, drained, and cut into very sm. dice
- 1 dried shiitake mushroom, rehydrated, drained, squeezed dry, and cut into very sm. dice
- 1 sm. bamboo shoot, blanched and cut into very sm. dice
- 1 Tbsp. (14g) dried shrimp, rehydrated, drained, and cut into very sm. dice
- 1 Tbsp. (8g) pine nuts
- spring onion, chopped (for serving)
Set up bamboo steamer.
To make doufu curd, beat soy milk and egg whites in a heatproof bowl; place in steamer; steam until set; remove from steamer; break into very fine pieces; reserve.
Bring water to a boil in large wok; add doufu curd; boil 3 to 4 seconds; remove from heat; drain; place into large bowl; reserve.
Bring stock, ham, scallops, mushrooms, bamboo shoot, and shrimp to a boil in large pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through (1 to 2 minutes); remove from heat; season; pour into bowl with doufu; reserve (keep warm).
To serve, add pine nuts and a pinch of spring onion; mix gently; divide among serving bowls.
What to drink: Mao Jian green tea from Central Zhejiang